Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Salmon and Sweet Potato Cakes

As I was looking through my Mothering magazine this morning, I came across this recipe for Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes. They looked so delicious and tempting, and I couldn't stop craving them. Being as sick as I was feeling at the time, I couldn't muster the energy to get to the store and buy the ingredients, but I fantasized. Well, as the day progressed and I gradually began to feel better, I was able to whip some up. They were everything I had dreamed of and more (don't act like I'm the only one who fantasizes about food during pregnancy.)
I love the combination of healthy ingredients, and the sweet potato really gives them a moist texture and helps them to stick together. I halved the recipe and it still made a ton (about 16 small ones.)

Salmon and Sweet Potato Cakes
(compliments of Mothering Magazine)

2 large sweet potatoes with skins, cubed
2 6-oz. cans wild Alaskan salmon
1/2 c. cornmeal
dash salt
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/3 c. fresh parsley, chopped
dash dried or fresh rosemary
1 scallion, chopped
3 Tbs. ground flaxseed
3 eggs
clarified butter or olive oil for frying
lemon wedges for serving

Boil sweet potatoes 15 minutes or until tender; drain and mash.
Add drained salmon and remaining ingredients, minus butter and lemon.
Mix well and shape into 2" patties.
Fry in hot oil or butter until golden brown on both sides.
Serve over a bed of greens with a lemon wedge.

I had these alongside a mug of hot lemon water with honey and it was just what the doctor ordered; soothed my stomach instantly.
I will definitely be making them again.


1 comment: