Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another Farmer's Market Day

Every Saturday I look forward to going to the Farmer's Market. This weekend I was able to go with a friend, which made for an even more enjoyable time. Here is what I picked up:

Bok Choy
(my personal favorite)

Onion and Garlic
(Have you ever tried organic home grown garlic?
It's amazing.)

Brussel sprouts
(These are a love/hate item. Either you love them,
or you hate them. My family happens to
fall into the former category.
BUT, I must say in their defense, if you haven't
tried them from the Farmer's Market, you need
to do so before you formulate your opinion.)

Red potatoes

Broccoli

Spinach


Kiwi fruit


So what do I plan on doing with all of this earth-grown yumminess? Here are some ideas:

*Boy Choy is my favorite for lunch. I sautee it in a pan with some oil and garlic, then season with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper. It's also excellent in a stir-fry.

*Brussel Sprouts are so good for you and way under-rated. My family loves them roasted in a 400 degree oven with some oil, salt, and pepper. You don't need much more seasoning than that for Farmer's Market produce, as it is so delicious in itself.

*I have an excellent recipe for honey mustard roasted potatoes that will probably go alongside one of our dinners this week.

*Broccoli is good steamed with a little salt and butter, or stir-fried. Farmer's Market broccoli is exceptionally tender and flavorful, much different than what you buy in the store.

*Spinach- I love it creamed, (I do the simple version with just cream, pepper, and a little nutmeg) or sauteed with garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. This is another one of my lunch favorites.

I'm on my third week of healthier eating, and what a difference I feel. Almost immediately I noticed an increase in energy and a clearer mind. Someone made a comment in church the other day that when we put good foods into our body, it leads to good thoughts and positive actions. Conversely, when we put bad foods into our body, it causes us to feel bad about ourselves, creates negative thoughts, and carries over into other aspects of our lives. Something to think about...







2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa. I was just about to enjoy some ice cream:) You make all of those greens look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi- you need some Farmer's Market veggies. They're like dessert and got me out of my late-night-ice-cream habit real quick. =)

    (That and my Mother's Tea.)

    ReplyDelete