Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Draw * Write * Now *

A large part of my homeschooling is sorting through the 1,300 page Rainbow Resource catalog at the beginning of each semester to find new curriculum for the kids. Actually, I find this to be quite enjoyable and inspiring, though rather tedious at times. Being that we have an ST who is relatively stand-offish when it comes to recommending curriculum sources (that's okay, we love her for many other reasons,) I have to do most of the footwork on my own. So, when I take my chances and order new curriculum that fits the bill, I consider it a rare gem.

Enter Draw * Write * Now. Towards the end of last semester I came across these nifty books that have been great for Jacob. You can get the boxed set of 8 for $74 at RainbowResource.com.

Each book has a theme, and each lesson provides detailed step-by-step instructions for drawing a picture, followed by sentences related to the drawing. This is a great way to blend Art with Language Arts (I also encourage him to use his best handwriting.)

Jacob was very ambitious about these at first, and used to complete about 2 every day. We have found that 3 a week is a more realistic pace, so he completes them on M-W-F.

I like they way they throw in fun facts related to history, science, and social studies.
(This is one of my favorites- especially with baseball season approaching!)


And at the end of the year, we will have a binder full of his work to keep and look back on.


2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun. What a great way to combine subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob, you are doing an amazing job with your drawings and writing! I am very impressed with your detailed pictures and various subjects you have written about. Those books look like a great way to help kids learn. Lisa, I like how you grade and give the positive comments at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete