Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lessons I've Learned From My Midwife

1) Birth is a natural process, not a medical procedure (in most cases, I would add.)

2) It is a woman's job to birth her baby, not a midwife's job to "deliver" her baby.

3) Every woman must own her birth experience.

4) Birth is shy- if you stare it in the face, it will never happen.

5) Midwives are empowering.

6) It's all about the mama- if she's taken care of, baby will be too.

7) Always trust your instincts- that's why they are there.

8) If you don't want a homebirth, don't pray about it.

9) A woman is going to give birth how and where she wants to give birth- even if that means in the hospital.

10) After a birth, it's not the daddy who should be sent home.

11) A midwife (my midwife) has an unexplainable capacity to nurture and give beyond human comprehension- even when it's not convenient.

11) A midwife is witness to a miracle, not the creator thereof.

12) And finally, midwifery is more than just a career, it's a calling.

Here are the girls, tuckered out from our 24 week appointment today.




Baby is head down (for now,) heartbeat is good, and they have taken on a very awesome apprentice whom I feel comfortable with already and would more than welcome at my birth.

1 comment:

  1. I do say, you have the best midwife EVER! Good to hear all is well.

    ReplyDelete