Monday, March 28, 2011

Buttermilk Quinoa Pancakes

Interested in trying a new grain? How about quinoa.

Quinoa is rare in that it is a complete plant protein (making it perfect for vegetarians) and contains many trace minerals such as iron, potassium, magnesium and lysine. It can be purchased in the bulk foods section at most grocery stores (I prefer Bel-Air) for relatively inexpensive. It is a versatile grain and can be used in breads, salads, and pastas, but one of our favorite uses for it is in buttermilk quinoa pancakes.
I was given this recipe by Nikki, who discovered it in her marvelous cookbook Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. This would make a wonderful addition to anyone's cookbook collection, not just vegetarians.
The kids love these, and Ashlee requested them this morning. One bite and I was glad she did. Recipe is as follows:

Buttermilk Quinoa Pancakes

1 c. water
1/2 c. uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
(this will yield about 1 1/2 c. cooked quinoa, enough for the recipe)

*Boil water, add quinoa, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 mins. until all liquid is absorbed.

For the pancakes:

1 c. white flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (or any ratio of your choice)
1-3 Tbs. sugar
dash salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
dash nutmeg
dash cinnamon

2 eggs
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
3 Tbs. butter, melted
splash vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 c. cooked quinoa

Combine dry ingredients.

Whisk wet ingredients, add to dry (do not overmix.)

Gently fold in cooked quinoa.

Cook on ungreased hot griddle until golden brown.

Serve with pure maple syrup.


Thanks again for sharing this recipe Nikki. It has become a favorite!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love quinoa. We discovered it a few years ago. I have sauteed bell peppers and onions, mixed with quinoa and drizzle with olive oil, excellent side dish to dinner. All sorts of things you can do with it. Have you every had the red quinoa? Just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, that sounds really good Karen and you just gave me a craving. I did have red quinoa for the first time at a restaurant in Yosemite- it was tasty. I wonder if the red variety has more nutrients?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quinoa is a must for us. Those pancakes looked so good - I'm going to have to give them a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime Lisa! If you want to borrow my "kitchen bible" again let me know. As of late, I've been addicted to her Cottage Cheese and Nutmeg Pancakes. They taste like a European pastry but oh so healthy (well, I made some changes to make them healthier and they actually turned out better)! I'm glad you're enjoying them! Maybe I'll change it up tomorrow and have quinoa pancakes instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, those cottage cheese pancakes are definitely crave-worthy. I think I'll make some.

    ReplyDelete