Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This is Why Moms Don't Get Sick

I thought moms weren't supposed to get sick?

At least, mine never did.

I haven't really been sick since about this time last year, when I was going into labor with Rachel.

Well, Sunday I felt something coming on, but like any busy mom, I ignored it, taking for granted that it would go away. Monday morning I woke up to a tight feeling in my chest, and when I tried to cough it felt like a part of my lung was being ripped out.

I did what any self-helping homeopathic mama would do and began the dosing of garlic and cranberry capsules. I found myself laid up on the couch, unable to stay on top of the kids and the house, and calling Forrest home for reprieve.

Yesterday was not much better, the house falling farther into shambles. Thankfully Forrest was able to come home early again, kick the kids in gear, and do dishes, laundry, clean bedrooms, sweep, and vacuum while I lay in my sick bed. The pressure in my chest was so much that I couldn't bend over without triggering a coughing spasm. I debated calling the Dr. this morning to see if I couldn't get a prescription of antibiotics to have on hand, just in case, but I continued to be patient with the garlic and cranberry.

I awoke this morning, and prayed that I would have the energy to get up, finish what little work was left around the house, and deal with the children in a sane manner. My energy level was slightly improved, but the stuffiness in my head was such that I spent half the day without hearing in my left ear (and oh, the sneezes. Let me tell you about the sneezes...)

So I persevere. I can not say I handled the kids with the grace that I would've liked to, but given the situation, I didn't do half bad either. The laundry and dishes did get done, as did school work, and I am starting to have faith that the garlic and cranberry are doing their part. I've also been chalking up on massive doses of vitamin C from chewables, fresh oranges, and honey lemon water. This has to be gone by the weekend.

So, the short of my story is that this is why mom's don't get sick. We can't! I seriously can not afford the time I spent in bed these last two days. My kids paid, the house paid... we all suffered. It's so hard to watch all my hard work over these last few weeks and months go to pot in one day's time. It makes me really worried about the down-time I will have after Anthony is born. I haven't decided if a clean house is worth all the grief that goes into it... but no one is happy in a messy one either. What to do?

1 comment:

  1. Here Here on all of that! I'm sorry you had to experience this because I truly understand!!! Clean houses are important, more on some days than others but I always remind myself that one my day my house will be spotless, my kids will be gone and I will be lonely and wishing for grandkids to mess up my clean house.

    ReplyDelete