Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mom-in-Training

My night-time routine goes something like this: dinner, clean-up, have kids get ready for bed, read scriptures (or do FHE,) say night prayer, hope everyone stays in their bed the first time, do dishes and clean dining room (I crack the window so I can hear the frogs and rain out back- makes it a little more enjoyable,) then sit down to correct and record the day's school work. Once again, Ashlee has impressed me with her writing prompt:

Prompt: If you have children of your own, what would you do differently than your parents? What things would you do the same?

"When I have kids of my own, I am going to do chores differently. Mom has us clean our rooms, the living room, dining room, and our bathroom. We do a little bit of laundry here and there, but not as much as I am going to make my kids do. They are going to have a hamper in each of their rooms, and do their laundry every other day. I am also going to have my kids clean up everything that they touched, even if it's not theirs. That way, you aren't cleaning up a mess you didn't make. I think that would be easier for everyone. That is what I would do differently than my parents."

A hamper in every room? He-llooo! And having the kids clean up everything they touched? I like that. This tells me two things: (1) She is going to be a great homemaker, (2) Perhaps she's seen Mom get a little bitter over doing everyone else's chores? Hopefully not the latter. At least my efforts seem to be making an impression on her.

3 comments:

  1. They do pick it up. My kids are older, but they can all do laundry (a plus for having a working mom?) and Sarah's into folding clothes lately. After work, dinner, homework, and dishes, she also sees that I need help and without asking, she jumps right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish Ash lots of luck! :) At least she didn't say she thinks she does too much, but leave to Ash to say (in a roundabout way), she could be doing more!

    ReplyDelete