Saturday, March 5, 2011

Our Yosemite Trip- Celebrating 60 Years

Yosemite was in a word- Beautiful.

One of my favorite sights was the sparkly snow! It reminded me of Edward's skin in Twilight.
See what I mean?
The water was frosty and sounded so cooooold rushing over the snow-covered rocks.
I did not get cold in this down-feather jacket, though.
On our snowy hike around Mirror Lake today.



We got goofy on the drive up and took lots of pictures. I just could not get over what a scenic route it was- so peaceful, and a majority of the time we were the only car on the road.

I think this was Upper Yosemite Falls.
We had dinner at this fancy restaurant right at our lodge called The Mountain Room. They featured local, organic foods grown on sustainable farms. We waited nearly an hour for a table, but it was so worth it. It actually felt really good to sit in the cozy lobby after a long day of walking around.
Forrest's birthday dinner: ribeye, baked potato, and seasonal vegetables.

My choice: roasted chicken, quinoa with lemon essence, and seasonal fresh veggies.
Admiring the falls outside our hotel room.
We did several miles of walking all together, much of it in the snow and ice. We were grateful for the times we got to walk on the road where we could be sure of our footing.
I saw so many places that the kids would've loved- lots of hollow trees and boulder caves. We are planning to go back as a family next summer.
Handsome buck, isn't he? Looks darn good for 30.

Bridleveil Falls today- this was my favorite but the trail up was very icy and slippery. People were skating down it on their feet.
Getting ready to leave our hotel this morning.
And back at home. Ashlee had prepared a dinner of beef quinoa stew, green salad, and garlic bread. She just totally assumed my role.
Back in "Mommy-mode." I really missed this. Rachel fell right to sleep in my arms.
And as if watching my kids for 36 hours wasn't enough, Vera surprised me with this amazing chocolate ganache and raspberry birthday cake. I tell you, everyone needs an Aunt Vera in their family.
Nothing better than being 30 and surrounded by family.
I made a big wish- but can't tell you what it was.
This cake was decadent and delicious.
I worked for two hours after the kids were in bed getting the house back in order, and now it's time for me to go to bed. It feels great to be 30. I feel more comfortable in my skin than I've ever been, and grateful for all the wisdom I've gained thus far in life. I have (almost) 6 kids whom I adore and live for, my high school sweetheart for a husband, and good health. I couldn't ask for anything more.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics.! and looks like the perfect first night away from all of them, and the perfect 30th birthday:-) I'm wishing you many happy years to come!! Also, I think that is so sweet that Vera made you that delicious looking cake-what a great, giving person to watch the kids and make you a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right - You can not ask for any thing more. You have got it all, but because you have earned and created it all. Your hard work is priceless. Love all your pictures. So romantic. I couldn't imagine a better time or place to be. So not crowded and that snow just adds to the most beautiful place ever created. Plus snow is perfect for snuggling and hand-holding walks xoxo Glad you guys got to get away, so important for love birds and parents. Love you xoxo Summer is coming....... can't wait for our yearly get together.

    ReplyDelete