Monday, March 7, 2011

You Know When You Know

Have you ever had your child tell you something that you know was inspired?

Perhaps this is something better suited for the diary, but I couldn't help but share in light of all the recent changes I've been going through with my children.

A few days ago I was sitting at the table with the kids while they did their school work. I found myself feeling tense, irritable, and exasperated- all of which are emotions not unfamiliar to me- and it was not yet 9:30a.m.

What was I doing wrong, and what could I be doing differently?

It was during this moment that Kaitlyn walked over to the wall where we have our world maps hanging and began tracing their textured surface with her finger. With her back to me, she began chattering like 3-year-olds do. I tuned in to what she was saying, and this is the portion that I heard:

"...Heavenly Father wants me to give you a hug and a kiss, and he can help you..."

The words came out of her mouth as casually as if she were singing a lullaby, but I knew they were not her own. They were not directed at me, but I knew they were for me.

They gave me pause.

I reflected, then went upstairs to fold some laundry. The words would not leave me alone. Coincidentally (or not) this was the start of our reformation program that has brought about so much change in my heart and in our household. Those words have been with me ever since, and I know of their source. Yes, Heavenly Father is helping me, and he used my sweet Kaitlyn as a prompting.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Isn't God just amazing-I love it when he presents himself so obviously to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is always near - you just have to be open to Him and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brought tears to my eyes xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was pretty special. Glad you wrote it down. Lucy said something similar to me the other day when I was getting upset with Brady. She said, "Mom, you can't be like that, you have to be like the Lord." I love that she said "Lord", too, because we don't typically use that particular word. Little girls are just the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Brittany, that gave me chills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post gave me chills, the good kind. That is absolutely wonderful, I'm glad you shared it with more than your diary!

    ReplyDelete